MW Timepieces started their Legatodiver crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter, that becomes available April 5th 2022. It will be the first of its kind dive watch inspired by music and instruments and is designed to combine arts, sports, elegance, and durable timepieces.
The LEGATODIVER will come in five variants, Black, Blue, Teal, White, and a Limited edition Merah-Putih, which will be available in limited quantities. We had the pleasure to review their prototype model version “Teal” in this hands-on review.
About MW Timepieces – Proudly designed in Indonesia
MW Timepieces was born in Jakarta, Indonesia, from a small design project called MaestroWorks Studio. The founder of MW Timepieces Adrian always was driven to create a premium wristwatch brand from his home country Indonesia. The idea is to create a watch with focus on individual designed language that is inspired by iconic design elements together with a well-experienced team.
Furthermore it should feature advanced specifications and a proper manufacturing process. The result is a design of a watch created by a team of watch enthusiasts and graphic designers. In this review, we take a closer look at the details of the watch they have created.
Dive watch design inspired by music
The first thing that catches your eye is the bezel, which has 6 fine lines and other elements of a guitar fretboard and the 3,6,9, and 12 is inspired by electric guitar pickup. My first idea was, that it represents musical notation (also called “staff” or “stave”), a set of five horizontal lines and four spaces that each represent a different musical pitch or different percussion instruments.
It could also represent the grooves of a vinyl record, you decide. The lines are executed very finely and besides the hands and indices they are as well filled with Super-LumiNova® BGW9, which we will show you in the stunning lume shots later in this article.
The bezel is surrounding an interesting dial; applied indices and a beautiful teal blue sunburst dial, that clearly represents the ocean in this dive watch. The play of colors between dark- and bright blue move vividly like a dive in the Pacific Ocean. In between these ocean like colors sit interesting round indices, that have polished surface in the middle and luminous mass surrounding it, a detail I have not seen before in microbrand watches. A large triangle marks 12 o’clock, crucial to find the correct position of a watch during the dive.
Returning to our vinyl reference of the bezel, the tips of the hands could symbolize the needle of a record player. The classic second hand feature a bright red tip, which gives a nice contrast to the overall blue and black watch. Another nice detail is that the date wheel is kept in dial color, MW Timepieces really spared no effort to do detailed work.
Legatodiver Teal on the wrist
The MW Legatodiver has a diameter of 39.5 mm (42 mm include crown), a thickness of 12 mm (include crystal) and a lug to Lug of 46 mm wears perfectly on my 18cm / 7″ wrist. Due to the large bezel and thus rather small dial it almost feels like a 38 mm watch and I believe it can be worn without any problem for wearers of 36 mm watches (which tend to have a smaller bezel) as well as for wearers of 40 mm watches.
Clearly visible from the side are the serrations of the bezel for optimal grip even with wet fingers during a dive or swim. Furthermore you can see how comfortable the watch with its lug-to-lug dimensions of 46 mm sits on my 8cm / 7″ wrist.
A beautiful back can also delight
If we turn the watch over we find a richly decorated case back. Fine artwork and specifications are lasered around the glass case back, which subtly reveals the well known and reliable Sellita SW200 Swiss automatic movement. Underneath the glass covering the movement you can find the 6 lines again, which resembles the design element of guitar strings above the hole of an acoustic guitar.
Another great feature that will let the heart of watch enthusiasts jump higher are the double-sided quick-release spring bars and drilled lug holes. Thanks to these features, you are able to change the bracelet to your favorite watch strap in seconds without using a tool. And if you install a strap without quick-release spring bars, you can easily push through the drilled lug holes with a spring bar tool.
Music touches the soul in darkness and light
As the saying goes: the best comes at the end. This leads us to the fascinating luminosity of the watch in the dark. Each Legatodiver is generously treated with Super-LumiNova® BGW9. The fine lines on the betel, hands & indices, as well as the logo on the crown and minute tracks are filled with luminous mass. This is something you don’t find often at this price point.
Something we rarely see is that even the date wheel has applied luminous mass. It is not an easy process, as the date wheel must be reprinted and filled with Super-LumiNova® BGW9 in multiple steps.
If you are a fan of extravagant design, diving watches and music then the Legatodiver is the right watch for you. Especially with all the luminous mass applied to it, it is an eye-catcher not only during the day, but also at night. In addition to the unique design, the Legatodiver also impresses with its pleasant proportions and good workmanship.
Get your reward at their Kickstarter campaign now and safe up to $170 from the retail price of $656. Even if you read this article late and might have missed the rewards, the retail price of $656 is more than attractive for a watch driven by a Swiss Sellita movement and which is so rich in details and lume.
Specifications & Important Note
- Case Material: Solid 316L brushed stainless steel with fine horizontal brush finished. Signed crown, filled with Super-LumiNova® BGW9 .
- Case back: The acoustic guitar-inspired exhibition case back with black tinted sapphire crystal, and engraved artworks
- Dial & Hands: Sunburst/fume Sunburst/texturized white luminous dial with Super-LumiNova® BGW9 on indices, hands, minute tracker/dial, and date font. Syringe hands with double lollipop seconds hand (filled with Super-LumiNova® BGW9).
- Crystal: Flat sapphire crystal with 10 layers of anti-reflective coating (underside).
- Bezel: 120 clicks uni-directional rotating bezel with engraved guitar fretboard inspired stainless steel bezel insert filled with Super-LumiNova® BGW9 and cover with flat sapphire crystal.
- Bracelet: A well-articulated premium 316L brushed stainless steel with a double locking deployment clasp. The double-sided quick-release mechanism, 6 positions of micro-adjustment.
- Extra Strap: Hand-crafted genuine calfskin leather, hand stitching, quick release spring bars, and signed tang buckle.
- Movement: Swiss Sellita SW200-1 automatic movement, 28,800 vph, 26 jewels, 38 hours power reserve, date feature at 6 o’clock
- Water Resistance: 30 atm / 300 m / 1,000 ft
- Diameter: 39.5 mm (42 mm include crown)
- Thickness: 12 mm (include crystal)
- Lug to Lug: 46 mm (48mm include male end-link gap)
- Lug Width: 20 mm tapering to 16 mm and 18 mm on the clasp
- Weight: 160 g