VANDAAG is a young watch manufacturer, but they already have a 20 years long experience in guiding and creating watches for customers from all over the world. The brand is located in the city of Oldenburg in the north of Germany and you can clearly see it in their watch design; Clear and modern, yet maritime and sporty; Minimal- and Scandinavian aesthetics, yet not another watch that claims its principles are based on the Bauhaus like many German watch companies do these days (more on the myth of Bauhaus watches here). VANDAAG is a word written in a north german dialect and means “today”. From today on the founders of VANDAAG create their own interpretation of North German design and we took a closer look on their attempt in this hands on review.
It’s obvious on the first sight, that the VANDAAG Tiefsee is a through and through neat watch; The distinctive shine of the ceramic bezel inlay, the different shades of the finely brushed 316L Stainless Steel case and bracelet, the polished indices placed on the matte dial covered by a double-anti-reflective coated sapphire crystal and the accented red date. The clean and easy dial design and the simple and straight but fine polished hands make the watch easy to read – what more could you ask of a watch?
Sporty character machine
The VANDAAG Tiefsee is driven by the reliable Japanese Miyota 821A automatic movement. The caliber and its rotor are easily visible through the anti-reflective sapphire crystal back. Even though I’d wish for a Swiss movement in this solid built watch, the Miyota is an excellent choice and makes it possible, to ask a reasonable price of only 399€ for a watch with such impressive hardware specs.
The VANDAAG Tiefsee is a very versatile watch and can be perfectly complimented with WB Original straps.
- Tiefsee Black paired with black Canvas strap
- Tiefsee Grey paired with dark grey Sailcloth
- -black/grey Two-Piece NATO
- -grey Canvas
- Diameter: 41.5 mm (wears like 39,5 mm)
- Thickness: 13.3 mm
- Lug-to-Lug: 48.0 mm
- Movement: Miyota 821A Automatic with date
- Water-resistance: 20 ATM / 200 meters
- Case: 316L CNC machined stainless steel
- Dial: Matte dial, red date wheel with polished indices and Japanese LumiNova®
- Bezel: Ceramic inlay, unidirectional, 60-minute graduations finely graduated in 120 steps
- Glass: Sapphire crystal (front and back)
- Bracelet: Stainless steel bracelet with butterfly clasp and quick-release spring-bars
- Strap: Two-Piece NATO nylon strap
- Warranty: 3 Years
- For more information visit the VANDAAG Homepage